UPDATED Oviedo @ Lake Mary September 30
OHS will be performing before the game, since it is Lake Mary’s homecoming
Are you ready for Marching Band Season? The next 6 weeks is the busiest time for marching band activities. Please be sure to check our band website www.oviedoband.com frequently for schedule updates, game & competition itineraries. We encourage our parents who are not traveling with us as chaperones or equipment crew to come out to games or competitions and show your support in the stands. We love applause!!
Upcoming activities and events are highlighted below:
- Cheesecake Canvassing is October 8th from 9am – Noon (estimated dismissal). Cheesecake is sold as a group and individual fall fundraising activity. This is a mandatory event for all band students. The students are divided into groups to canvas the Oviedo area for group orders. There will be a prize awarded for the student group with the highest sales. We need parents to volunteer as drivers (must be a registered dividend) and larger vehicles are preferred. Students are required to participate & attendance is taken. Individual sales packets are distributed upon each groups return to campus.
- Seminole County Marching Festival is a great event to catch all of the Seminole County High School Bands. The festival is held October 22nd, Seminole High School at 6:00pm. Beginning this week tickets for Seminole County Marching Festival will be sold at all band practices. Tickets are $6 in advance and we keep the proceeds from our advance ticket sales. For additional information or to purchase tickets see Michele Byington at practice.
- Halloween Costume Practice is a practice not to miss. Parents, friends and alumni arrive during practice to watch our Oviedo Marching Lions in their Halloween Costumes. Parents bring candy and our students trick or treat around the track. This is a great photo and video opportunity.
- Preview of Champions our own marching competition celebrates its 5th year on November 5th. Oviedo High School Marching Lions will play host to marching bands from across the state and the competition will culminate with a performance by the University of Central Florida Marching Knights. This is our largest fundraising activity & we need parents, alumni, siblings and friends of OHS Band to volunteer for a shift. Volunteer positions range from concessions stand, stand security, runners, parking, water tables, band guides, facility set up, clean up and many more. Event information and volunteer sign up will be on the band website soon. Contact Daun Cooper via email email@example.com with questions or opportunities.
- FMBC State Competition at the Tropicana Dome is a special ending to our marching season. New this year, we will have a limited number of spirit seats available on our coach buses. Watch for upcoming details regarding the pricing and schedule. Information for spirit seats will be announced after chaperone and equipment crew selections are made for the FMBC competition.
First Coast Marching Invitational October 15
Download prelim/finals schedule
Imagine Student Coordinate Sheets
On Saturday, October 8th, 2016, our Annual Fall Cheesecake Canvassing will take place. Students will be asked to coordinate grouping themselves with an Adult Driver and signing up on the driver lists posted on the door in the Band Room. All drivers must be registered with the Seminole County School Board as a Dividend. It only takes a few minutes and can be done online at: https://www3.scps.k12.fl.us/secure/CommInv_Vol/Vols2003/vollogin.cfm
Please be sure to have your students and drivers report to the Band Room no later than 9AM on Saturday, October 8th in order to select a route to canvass. Individual Cheesecake sales packets will be available when you return from the Canvassing Campaign. Remember Individual Sales are an incredible opportunity for students to add to their student accounts as you earn 70% of the profit generated from your individual cheesecake sales. All Individual orders will be due no later than Tuesday, November 1st. Please talk to your customers now and start organizing your orders.
All Band Parent Volunteers & Staff – connect with SCPS and register as a dividend. This link is for the 2015-2016 school year so on July 25, you will need to register for the new school year starting August 1. This will be in the middle of band camp. Be sure to select OHS as your school of choice so we can verify all chaperones, bus captains, equipment crew, concessions workers, event assistants and staff are eligible to volunteer with our students.
All State Band Audition Information – September 2016
Get all the information for the next All State Competition here.
Thank you parents and students for volunteering for Concessions. As you know, our Band Boosters provide Concessions for most field events at Courier Field and our students work games to earn money for their student accounts. During JV Football, Soccer and Lacrosse, adults are there to provide supervision and to help when it’s busy but primarily, the students handle all the jobs – cashier, cooking, popcorn, pretzels, clean up, etc. Student sign up is in the band room on the band door (near the uniform room). Home JV games are Sept 1, 8, 15, 29 (all Thurs) and October 12 (Wed). Training for parents to work JV, Soccer and Lacrosse with their students is done during the varsity football games. Adults are needed for every home football game as well as our Preview of Champions competition (in our 5th year!) and other hosted competitions. Our volunteer hours count towards the Bands’ Dividend hours. We need approximately 20-25 volunteers for each football game Friday evenings. Our first game is also Band Senior night so we really need our Freshman, Sophomore and Junior parents to work this game.
Concessions Sign up:
- 10/7/16 OHS v. University: Sign up here http://tinyurl.com/
- 10/21/16 OHS v. Lake Brantley: Sign up here http://tinyurl.com/
- 11/4/16 OHS v. Lake Howell (homecoming): Sign up here http://tinyurl.com/
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
The Equipment Crew is responsible for maintaining and transporting the band’s equipment at football games and marching competitions. We welcome your attendance at the chaperone trainings August 1 & 2. For information contact Larry at EquipmentTransportation@oviedoband.com.
Home (8/26, 9/23, 10/07, 10/21, 11/4) and Away (9/2, 9/9, 9/30, 10/13 -Thurs game, 10/28) Equipment Crew Sign Up:
- September 30 – OHS Football away game @ Lake Mary
- October 7 – Home Football Varsity OHS v. University
- October 13 – OHS Football away game @ Seminole
- October 21 – Varsity Football OHS v. Lake Brantley
- October 28 – OHS Football away game @Lyman
- November 4 – Homecoming Varsity Football OHS v. Lake Howell
It is important to run the band and colorguard programs to bring your student’s account up to date. We cannot run these programs without these funds.
Fundraising opportunities are available:
Students may work concessions throughout the year to earn money for their account.
You can now pay online. Click here to get started.