Welcome New OHS Band and Guard Family Members!
It can be quite a chaotic experience coming in as a new band/guard member to such a large organization. You are not alone; we have all been there and we will be here for you! It is comforting to know that you can ask another band parent: “is it normal for my child to want to quit, or why do we need so many volunteers, or is rehearsal cancelled if it rains?”
We hope the information provided below will give you the ability to have some piece of mind and know that someone will always be there for you to answer any questions!
The best advice is...
Be early, to be on time is to be LATE!
|Band Liaison||TBD – firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Color Guard||Amy Ganser – email@example.com
Hillary Lueck – firstname.lastname@example.org
|Charms||www.charmsoffice.com (you will need your students login information)|
|Oviedo High School Band and Color Guard Parents (private FB group for current band/guard parents)
Oviedo High School Band and Color Guard (public FB page)
- July 23rd and 24th: Freshman and Leadership Camp 12:00-3:00pm
- July 27th - 31st: Band Camp 12:00-9:00pm
- August 3rd - 7th: Band Camp Continued 12:00-9:00pm
Have your student get acclimated to the heat and start hydrating at least 1 week prior to camp.
- Eat before camp starts, no dairy/eggs it does not fair well in the heat along with exercise.
- They will receive a snack & a dinner break. Pack (healthy) snacks & dinner.
- Water & Gatorade are the best….NO soda.
- 1 gallon jug with water. Label name on jug. Chaperones will re-fill the jugs as needed.
- Shorts, T-Shirts, Tank top at a minimum for male& female, hat, socks, tennis sneakers,(NO VANS, CONVERSE, FLIP FLOPS OR SANDALS).
- Sunscreen, (we cannot apply for your student) bug spray, medication, pencil, black binder with 20 sheet protectors.
- Transportation is not provided to camp or rehearsals. Have your student talk to their section leader and other band mates to try to car pool.
- Students will have sectionals that are called by their section leaders independently of Mr. Chowning.
- This is for marching season, NOT band camp
- Students leave uniforms in the band room. From home your student needs to bring their band shoes, black socks, gym shorts, band T-shirt and shako (the hat).
- A couple of days before a game/competition keep an eye out for an email with the schedule for that event…report time…location…estimated pick up time.
- Information will be posted on the website as well within a week before an event.
- One of the best things you can do is get involved! The band/guard is a fantastic, dedicated group of kids and they really need a supportive group of parents to help make everything run smoothly.
- Volunteer opportunities -
- sell spirit wear
- help with equipment
- Or go to games and cheer on our kids.
- The band performs at halftime
- Away games - we perform 1st and we face the home stands (some parents will walk over to the home side just to see the show)
- Home games we perform 2nd and face our fans!
- If you are attending a home game its best to get there early and get seats up high (it’s the best view of the band). The 1stsections of bleachers are for the students (very loud). The closer you sit to concessions the better and again the higher you get the better the view!
- You will need to feed your student before the game.
- If they don’t come home after school, most kids will walk to Sonic, Publix or Subway until report time.
- We provide water in the stands for all games and competitions.
- We will pre-order food for both away and home games. Please check back regularly for the link to pre-order for the season.
Dismissal time is approximate…it depends on the game…
- Home Games - the students play the Alma Matter and then march off the field into the Quad for a quick talk from Mr. Chowning & the drum majors. Then they return uniforms and instruments to the band room and go home.
- Away Games - a text sent via Remind101 will give the estimated arrival time of the buses. The kids remain on the buses until all of the equipment is unloaded from the trailer, which arrives on the administration loop. Then they are released to the band room to return uniforms and instruments.
- Parents - wait in their cars in the parking lot; please do not come into the band room as 300 kids are returning (its organized chaos). Please also be on time for pick up as chaperones and band directors have to stay until ALL students are picked up!